Yorkshire Terrier Breeders in Virginia
If you are looking for well-established Yorkshire Terrier breeders in Virginia, Caraneal Yorkshire
Terriers have been breeding Yorkshire Terriers for over 40 years and have produced some of the top dogs in the
How to Choose a Yorkshire Terrier Breeder
When you start looking for a Yorkshire Terrier puppy, the most important thing is to find a
reputable breeder who has experience with your chosen breed and who will be available throughout the lifetime
of your dog to help with the inevitable questions that arise and to provide support when necessary.
When you're looking for your Yorkshire Terrier puppy there are four sources that you should always avoid:
- Newspaper advertisements - reputable breeders will never advertise in papers or local magazines.
- Pet shops and puppy outlets - these people encourage puppy mills to produce dogs that are often from poor
genetic stock and will land you with large vet bills later in the dog's life. You may think you are rescuing a
puppy from these shops, but buying from them only helps to create demand.
- Backyard breeders - these are people who are usually not members of the AKC (American Kennel Club) and do
not have a history of showing their dogs; they just breed them. Beware of any claims to be members of
alternative associations - most of them just exist to appear to offer legitimacy to disreputable breeders.
- Websites that offer a range of breeds - if you do a search for Yorkshire Terrier breeders in Virginia, you
will see a number of sites that are selling all types of breeds and they are just online pet shops. Avoid
them at all costs! The same advice holds for breeders that have more than two, or at most, three
Some of the main things to look for in selecting a Yorkshire Terrier breeder in VA are:
- Dogs and puppies that are raised in a loving home environment.
- Puppies that are outgoing and don't cower away when approached.
- A history of exhibiting (and preferably winning!) in the breed.
- Membership of the AKC, in good standing.
- Experience with Yorkshire Terriers for a number of years.
- Ability and willingness to provide advice and support, long term.
- Health history and pedigrees for the dam and sire.
- The dam and maybe earlier generations at home.
- Being comfortable with the breeder.
Given this knowledge, and backed up by your research of the breed, you should be able to choose a good,
reputable breeder who can provide you with a well-balanced, healthy puppy.
Back to Top